So, I haven't written at all since I decided to surprise my sister and come to Ohio for a few days. That was on the 3rd of November. And yet, in spite of my best efforts, I'm writing this from her couch. =( That sad face isn't because I'm here. Well, not really. I just really want to go home. I really miss my husband. And I spent over $600 last week trying to get on a military hop back to the Azores. Isn't that ABSURD?? I was so disgusted but what can you do? I didn't (still don't) want to spend over 2k on a commercial flight and the company that has such great deals (SATA/Azores Express) is booked for the month of December.
Sooooo.... Alex and I are going to fly to McGuire AFB on the 20th and hope we get on that flight. According to Josh, the flight on the 20th was initiated by the base commander there at Lajes specifically for military spouses/families trying to get to Lajes for Christmas. There is also another one out of Norfolk on the 15th but it goes to the same places the last one I tried for went to and I'm so low on the list (category wise) that I think we're better off waiting.
*tear...
I could tell you about all the rediculous trouble I had trying to get on that flight but I have more important things to say. Ok, ok, I'll tell you. I flew to Norfolk on the 1st with the intention of getting on the flight that night. I got to the terminal and then found out I didn't have in my possesion a letter that I was supposed to have to get on the plane. I called Josh and after a tense hour of nail biting and sweating, he was able to scan and email the letter to the CS rep. So then I stood in line and checked my bags and paid for my seats (free flights are approx $15 a head) and they gave me a ticket for the plane...which I boarded an hour later... An hour after watching all the crew walking back and forth and back and forth, they told me they had miscalculated their numbers and I was one of the lowest on the priority list and I would have to get off the plane. With really watery eyes and a sleepy little baby I got my stuff and walked ALL the way to the front of the plane to get off. As I walked down the hall, they called my name, "wait a second. maybe there is something we can do". After sitting in the lobby trying not to freak out they called me back and said they'd worked it out. I could fly. So I got back on the plane. ALL the way to the back where my seat was... Alex fell asleep again. 20 minutes later they were back. "I'm sorry Mrs Rose, but you'll have to get off the plane. We can't take you."
I made it off the plane without sobbing although I did have tears rolling down my face as I walked ALL the way back out. Unbelieveable. I was told that they had booked everyone using 4 crew seats that they unfortunately weren't supposed to use. They got permission from the captain to use the seats (extra crew was going to sit in the cockpit) but his boss said it was a no go. Then they said there was a C-130 coming in the next morning and I could probably go on that. It was almost midnight by then so I had to get a room anyway. Their shuttle took me to lodging where I spent $50 on a room. We had to be back at the terminal by 9. Waited 2 hours to be checked in, baggage taken and tickets issued. Only to be told the C-130 couldnt take us either. It was then that I took a cab to the airport and got a ticket back to Ohio. Of course, that couldnt go smoothly, lol. It was raining pretty nicely by the time the plane left Norfolk...then it was told to delay in air for 20 minutes so by the time we got to our layover in Charlotte, I missed my connection. Finally got a flight to Dayton and arrived a little after 9 pm.
Talk about a lesson in patience!! There were other people kicked off the plane as well. A girl named Miranda and her 2 kids and a guy named Dave. We were all pretty upset. We all came back for the C-130 ride and we all got denied. I think they've all made it back by now. Miranda got a flight to Toronto and from there to Lajes and Dave drove to McGuire and got on a hop there. I am jealous but neither option would have worked for me.
I said all of that to say this. I've felt a very strong conviction lately that there are things in my life and my attitude that I could work on. Life isn't fair. But no one gets to choose the things that come their way. The only things we have control of are our reactions to each moment we go through. I will not allow my son to throw a fit when he doesn't get his way or when he is incredibly disappointed so how can I allow myself to do the same? It's very hard to be gracious and softspoken when you're exhausted and frustrated but at the end of the day, the important things were still perfect. I have an amazing husband, who dispite his frustration and disappointment, was encouraging and patient and my baby boy was SO good the whole time that I wonder if I imagined the nightmarish nights I had before his surgery.
I am blessed. I am so fortunate.
We've had a great time here in Ohio. I love my family. I love my car!! =0) But I can't wait to get home!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I went to church with Rachel and the kids this morning and would you believe that the sermon was specifically for me?? Ha! But really, I've been thinking a lot about marriage and what keeps it together and what makes it fall apart. I see relationships all around me falling apart...or just becoming distant and I am frankly desperate to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to mine. The pastor spoke on 'Fighting for your marriage" and his point was that you make choices when you fight for something. If you want to fight for your marriage you need to make these choices:
1. Choose to sacrifice. Sacrifice by doing small things that make a huge difference.
2. Choose humility. "Be content with second place". Put your spouse before yourself.
3. Choose to endure. "Patience and longsuffering". (Romans 5:3-5)
4. Choose to forgive. "Absolve..."
He likened a marriage to white water rafting. You enter the river when it's smooth and calm but you know there are rocks and areas with rough current up ahead so you prepare for them. You
know they're coming but it doesn't stop you from getting in the river. It just makes you work harder at making it through the turmoil. It was a great message. If you're interested in hearing it you can listen to it on
this site under "Married".
The funny thing is that this is something that has been on my mind a lot lately. We discussed it in the women's Bible study I was going to in the Azores and to hear it today gave me a little more encouragement. I've thought a lot about what I want for my marriage and my family. I've hurt for those around me who are struggling. I want to put my husband before myself and I want to keep God in our lives and in our family. I want Alex to grow up knowing that not only do we love him, but we love each other. I want his example of a relationship to be US and I want it to be a GOOD example of commitment, responsibility and kindness.
I'll try to update this again soon. Maybe I'll have more definite information about going home. Josh has a class in San Antonio from 4 Jan to 10 Feb (or something like that) and I'm hoping Alex and I can spend some time there with him since we're missing most of the month of December.
Love you all,
xo
T
No comments:
Post a Comment